Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Voice of the theater only

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Voice of the theater only

    Dance with wolves was one of the last film that I saw on a 50 foot wide screen single theater.
    The sound was so realistic that you were transported in the wilderness of this spectacular
    outdoor nature.

    No thumping bass or harsh sound effects. This movie would never sound the way it was supposed to sound on THX approved speakers. The only speakers fit for this film was the Altec A-4
    and it's surround speakers.


    ..................................

  2. #2
    Inactive Member notloudenough's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2008
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    The first movie I saw with surround sound was Star Wars. I'm guessing at least three A-4's across the front, two A-7's for surround, and a pair of 620 cabinets (604's ?) for the people in the balcony. Been chasing that sound ever since. I wonder if playing the lottery would've been cheaper.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    I know the feeling. Every major city in North America should have one single screen theater
    with 70mm projectors showing 35mm prints blown to 70mm on first run movies.All equipped with 3 or 5 A-4.and Altec surrounds.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by LICORNE View Post
    Every major city in North America should have one single screen theater...
    ...and free concerts in the park on Sundays.

    And affordable doctors, honest lawyers, and trustworthy bankers.

    And a big, honkin' pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Smile Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    ...and free concerts in the park on Sundays.
    Like the kiosk in Boston park

    24

    At night

    25

    Check this screen

    26

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member SD-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    The IMAX theater at the port in Old Montreal is the only one that I knew, at the time, that used Altec gear. At the left and right of the giant screen hung a pair of A5s, the only visible speakers in the theater.
    There must have been other speakers, but hidden from view. Had a tour of the projection booth and was awed by the size of the 70mm film spools and the floor to ceiling racks of very large Bryston amps.
    Cheers

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by SD-50 View Post
    The IMAX theater at the port in Old Montreal is the only one that I knew, at the time, that used Altec gear. At the left and right of the giant screen hung a pair of A5s
    Cheers

    Place du Canada which opened in 1967 and closed in 1993 had 2 35 mm and 2 70 mm projectors 5 Altec A-4 and Altec surround . Total capacity 800 seats screen between 70and 80 feet wide.

    THe closest theater resembling Place Du Canada is the Gaumont Paris .

    27

    The other cinema was the Imperial Cinerama equiped with 5 Altec A-4 + surround ,opened
    in early 50's to late 60's now reopened with JBL speakers as historic monument.

    ..........................................

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member SD-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Don't ever remember going to Place du Canada, so can't comment. Now the Imperial I've been to on many an occasion, and to this day believe that it had the best sound of any theater in Montreal. I had no idea that the sound system was all Altec, before my Altec "wannabe" days. Not been back to the Imperial, I was pissed when they shut it down.
    I've yet to hear a theater with better sound. The Egyptian had decent sound, no idea what system was used before they demolished it.
    Cheers

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    I first became aware of high fidelity in at the age of 10 when in 1959 my Dad took me Downtown to see the roadshow showing of Ben Hur. That's when seeing those spectacle pictures was a big deal; reserved seats, overture music, intermission and exit music and 70mm and magnetic sound.

    Anyway when the overture music the opening blasts of the fanfare thrilled me, I'd never heard anything so powerful and clear, I had no idea music could be reproduced like that. To this very day any system must pass the Ben Hur test to be aces with me.

    YouTube - Ben-Hur(1959) - Title Music

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by SD-50 View Post
    Don't ever remember going to Place du Canada, so can't comment. Now the Imperial I've been to on many an occasion, and to this day believe that it had the best sound of any theater in Montreal. I had no idea that the sound system was all Altec, before my Altec "wannabe"
    The Imperial was split in two sometimes in late 70's an fitted with JBL THX certified in 1983.
    Closed sometimes in 1990 then restored by The government.

    The Imperial is used for feature film opening mainly French but also some English such as Mr
    Bean on vacation.


    28

    As for Ben Hur I remember seeing it for the first time in a single screen cinema. I was overwhelmed by the sound and the cinematography.

    ......................

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.